Stuffed Squash Blossoms
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, goat, or fresh mozzarella
- 8 squash with blossoms intact
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup white flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt and pepper
Gently open the end of the squash blossom and fill approximately one tsp of cheese in center.
Twist top of flower closed and dust with white flour
Dip in egg and then roll into cornmeal
Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired
Filling for Quesadillas
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
- 1 ½ TBS chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 poblano chilie, charred, peeled seeded and stripped
- 4 ½ cups chopped squash blossoms
- 1 TBS chopped epazote
- salt to taste
Heat oil in frying pan, add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the chilie strips and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in squash blossoms and ssalt, cover pan and cook over medium heat, until the bulbous base of flower is tender. About 10 minutes.
If flowers are dry, add water. If they are juicy remove the lid. Mixture should be moist but not juicy,
Stir in epazote and cook for 3 more minutes.
Create quesadilla with
Adapted from Diana Kennedy